Every teacher knows the feeling. There’s three weeks of term to go and you’ve got nothing but four Pritt Sticks and a bit of willpower to get you and your 30 children through that big craft project coming up. You plead with the powers that be to get some brand new ones, but the budget’s all gone for the term.
Thankfully there are a few handy hints and tips which can help your glue sticks go that little bit further…
1. Buy the best quality! With a high quality glue stick such as a Pritt Stick, it really doesn’t take that much glue at all to get the job done; Pritt Sticks glue double the amount of paper with the same amount of glue than the next best competitor. Additionally, its airtight cap means that as long as the lid is put back on properly, your Pritt Stick will not dry out!
2. Only glue what’s needed. If you’re gluing a worksheet in to a book, there’s no need to paste glue over all the sheet. A simple line around the edge of the sheet with your Pritt Stick is more than enough to secure it in there.
3. Only wind out the glue a little bit. It’s really tempting for children to wind a Pritt Stick out so there’s loads of glue showing, but by doing this they’re more likely to use more glue than they need to. Encouraging them to only slightly wind the glue out will make the glue last a lot longer.
4. Get precious over lids. It’s a huge frustration to find lonely Pritt Sticks without their lids at the end of a lesson. One option to help stop this is to put a specific pot on each table for the lids to be put in to while the sticks are in use. Alternatively, why not hand out the glue sticks to the children with the lids already off so that when you take them back in again a few minutes later, you’ve got the lids all safe and sound?
5. Go a step further: keep spares. When one glue stick is used up, keep its lid hidden away in a stash of spares for when the inevitable happens and another lid gets lost.
6. Look out for offers. YPO’s budget stretcher allows you to get that little bit more for your money, so it’s the perfect time to stock up while they’re cheap!
7. Buy in bulk. You can buy a mega-sized pack of 200 Pritt Sticks from YPO, which also comes with 8 further sticks free. That way you get a better price per stick and some freebies thrown in too.