Find out more about the single-use plastic ban, coming into force in October 2023.
What is the single-use plastic ban?
From October 2023, a ban on a range of single-use plastics will come into force in England, as announced by the government. As we all know, plastic consumption is a growing issue globally, and measures need to be put in place to tackle it. The hope is that the ban will reduce the amount of plastic that is sent to landfill, with the government noting that England uses 2.7 billion items of single-use cutlery every year, with only around 10% being recycled. The ban is a step in the right direction, with a government-conducted survey finding that over 95% of respondents were in favour of the bans.
What does it include?
- Single-use plastic cutlery
- Single-use plastic plates
- Single-use plastic straws & stirrers
- Single-use food containers made from polystyrene
- Single-use drinking cups made from polystyrene
- All products made using oxo-degradable plastic, for example, carrier bags and plastic film
When does it come into action?
The ban on specific single-use plastics will come into force from October 2023, giving businesses enough time to prepare and source alternatives. From October 2023, customers will not be able to purchase single-use banned products from any businesses.
What alternatives are available?
At YPO, we stock a large range of plastic catering alternatives, to make the switch easy. Explore our range of products below to find ideal alternatives to single-use plastic products. Our products are perfect for a range of catering needs, including schools, colleges, commercial kitchens and more.
- 235135 Biodegradable Wooden Dessert Spoons
- 235134 Biodegradable Wooden Forks
- 235133 Biodegradable Wooden Knives
- 235136 Biodegradable Wooden Teaspoons
- 307123 White Round Paper Plates
- 230391 Recyclable Plastic Cups
- 200022 Recyclable Soup/Food Container
- 427073 Recyclable Large meal boxes
- 427074 Recyclable Large burger boxes
- 427072 Recyclable Medium meal boxes
- 231568 Cookpac Same-Day Large square food boxes
- 231367 Large Bagasse food boxes
Why is this new ban important?
The new ban means that fewer single-use plastic catering products will be used and produced, meaning that less plastic is put into landfill. Plastic pollution can take hundreds of years to decompose, so it’s important that we’re making a conscious effort to reduce the amount we produce. As the Department for Environment and Rural Affairs found, each year, England uses around 2.7 billion items of single-use cutlery, with most being plastic. Considering that most of these single-use items end up in landfill every year, it’s crucial that we begin to reduce this number. The new ban is a great step in the right direction.
At YPO, we’re on a journey to be more sustainable – so we hope you found our list of plastic-free alternatives useful. To find our full range of alternatives to single-use plastic catering products, click here.