Today is Yorkshire Day and what better excuse do we need to celebrate how great our wonderful county is!
After all, Yorkshire is YPO’s heritage – this is where we were first established 43 years ago and where we still operate from today!
Just for fun, we’ve put together our top 10 reasons why Yorkshire is so great. The day is dedicated to keeping our traditions and culture and here’s some of the best…
- Yorkshire is home to some of the best food. A Sunday roast just wouldn’t be the same without delicious Yorkshire puddings (and the staple of other great meals like toad in the hole). It’s also home to some of the best beverages- nothing says Yorkshire more than a reet good brew!
- The landscapes of Yorkshire are beautiful. Whether you’re looking at a dramatic urban landscape such as Leeds or stunning natural scenery like the moors, there’s nowhere more beautiful in the UK than Yorkshire.
- ‘Broad Yorkshire’ is the most common name for the unique Yorkshire dialect. No matter where you are you know who’s Yorkshire from their ‘broad Yorkshire’ accent. The accent gives us some great sayings which leads us onto point four…
- Some of the best sayings come from Yorkshire! There’s an abundance of phrases and sayings like bobby dazzler, by gum, ‘ey up, giore and allreet that are prefect to spice up your speech.
- Yorkshire is ethnically diverse. Around 403,000 of Yorkshire’s residents weren’t born in the UK. There are a lot of different traditions and celebrationswhich make helps to make the culture so diverse.
- A lot of real talent comes from Yorkshire. Musicians and bands like Arctic Monkeys, Ed Sheeran, The Human League, and Kaiser Chiefs and the all originate in Yorkshire.
- Yorkshire’s national heritage is great. There are plenty of treasured places like York Minster, Whitby Abbey and Castle Howard. This means people in Yorkshire are never short of an educational day out.
- You can also thank Yorkshire for TV shows like Heartbeat, Emmerdale and Downton Abbey. These shows are are really popular in households across the UK with Downton Abbey having a staggering 8.2million viewers for its finale.
- Yorkshire has some very successful athletes. Jessica Ennis, Olympic gold medallist, world champion in heptathlon was born in Sheffield. David Seaman, footballer, goalkeeper for Arsenal and England was born in Rotherham.
- Many esteemed writers come from Yorkshire including the Brontë sisters, J. B. Priestley, Alan Bennett and Ted Hughes. This means that many great literary works began in Yorkshire; Jane Eyre, Dracula and The Lady in The Van.
We could go on for hours and hours about why Yorkshire is great. Let us know what you love about Yorkshire on Twitter @ypoinfo #yorkshireday