Have you ever wondered how sustainable your paper is? Ever wondered what the difference is between an FSC®-certified product and one which is not FSC-certified? This could be your time to switch and do your bit for the environment.
What is FSC?
The Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC) is a global, not-for-profit organisation dedicated to the promotion of responsible forest management worldwide. FSC defines standards based on agreed principles for responsible forest stewardship that are supported by environmental, social, and economic stakeholders.
FSC helps take care of the forests for future generations and the wildlife and people that call it home. FSC is recognised by the WWF as a hallmark of responsible forest management. For more Information, visit https://www.fsc-uk.org/en-uk/about-fsc/what-is-fsc.
How can I be sure that my product is FSC® Certified?
FSC Chain of Custody certification, from forest to end-user, ensures that FSC materials and products have been checked at every stage of processing. For a product to carry the FSC logo there must be an unbroken chain of certified companies covering every change in legal ownership from the certified forest up to the point where the product is finished or sold to retail.
The validity of FSC certificates can be checked using the following database https://info.fsc.org/certificate.php. Using this database, you can search FSC licence codes to identify the organisation that applied the label. You can also check when that organisation’s FSC certificate was first issued to them and when it is due to expire.
Why should you choose FSC® products?
• 69% of people would prefer to buy a product bearing the FSC logo, compared to one without. This then rises to 75% when it is made clear that there are no other visible differences between a product bearing the FSC logo and one that doesn’t (e.g. the cost, size etc.)
• In the UK, 55% of people recognise the FSC trademark.
• 75% of UK citizens believe it is important for the products they purchase to have been responsibly sourced
When you see the FSC label, this means that materials used for the product have been responsibly sourced.
Here are a few more reasons why you should choose FSC:
• Our membership includes the world’s largest and most respected environmental NGOs, such as WWF, who are vocal in their support of FSC over others.
• FSC is a market-based initiative which also ensures better conditions for the forest and the people whose livelihoods depend on it.
• The FSC label is found on wood and paper products as well as non-timber forest products such as latex. You can find the FSC logo on paper, decking, kitchen utensils, printed matter, floors, charcoal, venison and many more products.